Sunday, November 14, 2010

No need to fret, we can still have chocolate milk!

I'll be the first to admit that I love chocolate milk!  Not on a daily basis, but as a comfort. When I'm not feeling well, I like chocolate milk with some soda crackers! Or sometimes for breakfast, a banana and some chocolate milk!  It's sooo yummy and creamy and full of chocolate goodness. So after reading the dairy information in The Kind Diet, it left me utterly(no pun intended) grossed out about having dairy in my body. 

Now I never was much of a whole milk, or 2%, or 1% drinker. I could take it or leave it. But chocolate milk, I would have to buy at least a 1L each week. I guess we could throw that in the comfort food category.

I was a little saddened that I would no longer be indulging myself in chocolate milk. Then, one lovely day while at a local whole food store, I saw a container sitting on the shelf and it was Almond Breeze Chocolate!  The heavens opened and angels appeared and were signing! Ok, so the angel part didn't actually happen, but I was one happy girl!  Now, so long as it tasted good I would be all set! 

Almond Breeze is made by a company called Blue Diamond Growers.  Blue Diamond® Growers is the world's largest tree nut processing and marketing company. Founded in 1910, the cooperative is celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2010. Blue Diamond® led the development of California's almond industry from a minor domestic specialty crop to the world leader in almond production and marketing.



 Almond Breeze contains no lactose or casein and is a dairy-free product. They also contain no animal products, by-products or derivatives and are considered vegan products. Made from real almonds, all natural, smooth and creamy with a hint of almonds; Almond Breeze is a great tasting non-dairy beverage without the thin, chalky after taste of rice and soy beverages.  Besides being lactose and gluten free, Almond Breeze contains no cholesterol, animal ingredients or hormones, saturated fat, or added oils. It's low in sodium and enriched with Calcium and Vitamin D and E, contains a high level of unique phytonutrients, and is a good source of Vitamin A. 

If you’ve noticed I haven’t called Almond Breeze milk!  Blue Diamond doesn’t call it milk either, but it tastes a whole lot like milk to me.  Matter of fact, I like it as well or better than milk with its ever so slight hint of nutty flavour.  Almond Breeze tastes great over some fresh berries or over some low-carb flax based cereal as well. 

I’ve tried Soy Milk and it cannot compare at all!  I have not used Almond Breeze in any recipes that required cooking, but I’ve read of those who have used it successfully in cooking, and the Almond Breeze website recommends its use in cooking.  Hopefully, some of you can chime in with your Almond Breeze experiences and share them with the rest of us.

Yay for Almond Breeze! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment